Wednesday, October 13, 2010

We now interrupt this blog to take part in a Texas Tradition!!

Howdy Folks!!
Yup, it's that time of year again- the TEXAS STATE FAIR!! Now, I don't know about you, but I LOVE the fair. In fact, I do believe I have begged (and convinced) Jason to take me every year that we have known each other! I think once we get to year 10 we can officially call it a tradition :0)

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Texas State Fair, it is one of the largest and oldest (it's over 100!) state fairs in the country. The Fair runs for 24 days, and is presided over by that gentleman up top named Big Tex. As a local non-profit, the Fair supports Texas students with college scholarships, memorializes Texas heritage with the Heritage Hall of Honor and has an active preservation roll in it's almost 300 acres of art deco design. Pretty impressive for a self sustaining organization smack in the middle of downtown Dallas!

I have to admit though that even with all these great attributes, the real reason we go is the food. The FRIED food that is! The Texas State Fair has pretty much become synonymous with crazy fried foods experiments- we've seen fried frito pies, fried beer and of course fried butter! Each year there seems to be one or two new experiments that catch everyones attention and Jason and I always try them out. This year, in addition to his annual corndog and my annual funnel cake, we tried the fried s'mores pop tart.


Well, as you can see it was actually pretty tasty!! We especially liked the middle part where you really got the s'mores flavor and it was mixed with the warm fried graham cracker! I think if you make it out to the Fair this year it should definitely be on your list of things to try.

Big Tex, we'll see ya again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment